MSF Epidemiologists work in a variety of contexts, and may be either based in a country coordination centre or out in a field project. They may support one or many projects, and work on a variety of issues, from mortality surveys to mapping the spread of diseases.
- A degree or masters in Epidemiology or an MPH with extensive epidemiological training.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of work experience as an Epidemiologist.
- Proven practical skills in design/implementation/evaluation of quantitative and qualitative epidemiological research methods
- Ability to design and implement surveillance and other data collection systems for disease and outbreak monitoring, including mortality and nutritional surveys, and to train others in appropriate data collection and analysis
- Proven practical skills with software for epidemiological database and statistical analysis (Microsoft Excel and at least one statistical program)
- Ability to be a team leader i.e supervising, managing and training others
- Medical/biomedical background
- Familiarity with tropical diseases / infectious diseases
- Fluency in one of the following languages: English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic
- Previous experience in a similar role with another non-governmental organisation (NGO)
- Available to work for 3 to 12 months
- Previous experience in a similar role in an unstable environment
What do we offer
MSF packages reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism as well as recognising the high level of professionals we recruit.
- Round trip economy air travel;
- Accommodation and transportation during your contract (including briefings and debriefings);
- Monthly indemnity based on your experience and MSF salary structure;
- Field Per diem allowance in local currency based on the cost of living in project country;
- Insurance covering health, luggage, professional liability, repatriation, accidents and flights;
- Pre and post-mission health checks.
Career with MSF
Besides the practical considerations, there are many intangible benefits. Working for MSF is a challenging and rewarding personal and professional experience that allows you to help people in a very real way. MSF encourages field workers to continue working for the organisation beyond their first mission, and we offer various career opportunities to our field workers.
Gaining more and varied MSF field experience makes you eligible for coordination positions in the mission such as Logistical, Medical, or Project Coordinator, or Head of Mission.