The role of a BioMed Manager is to plan and implement all logistics activities in the project related to biomed equipment according to MSF protocols and standards. This is an exciting role as it gives you the opportunity to apply yourself in a low resource setting and manage the bio-med needs to ensure optimal running of the project in a global setting where you can work with a diverse international group.
BioMed managers are usually based in the projects and will be responsible for planning, establishing and reviewing the electrical activities in the project including its annual budget. We look for a combination of technically qualified and experienced biomed professionals equipped to in contexts to function in contexts of low resource settings. Your basic skills in cross-cultural human resource management and communication will be important, as the role involves training and evaluation of staff under your supervision and coexisting in a diverse team.
Key responsibilities will include
(Please note that a detailed job description will be provided for each role when offered and may differ slightly from context to context)
- Monitoring and ensuring the implementation of biomed equipment management procedures in the mission(installation, disposal/renewal, correct use and maintenance) and ensuring a good follow up of the different maintenance contracts.
- Ensuring that the preventive and curative maintenance, fault diagnosis, annual diagnosis and certification are performed for those items of equipment for which specialised training has been received.
- Coordinating and organising between projects for equipment/support exchange(repair returns, installation and replacement) to help ensure that a few items are out of service on the mission at any given time. This includes the packing, shipment and contact with service providers or after sales service to the MSF Supply Centre for the repair of equipment that cannot be done locally.
- Organising, planning and ensuring appropriate stock management including inventories of spare parts and back up equipment. Ensuring good following and quality assessment of the company in the process of local purchase.
- Managing the biomed technicians and planning and managing their activities as a functional biomed unit.
- Participates in the HR related processes like recruitment, training and development, briefing/debriefing and communication of the staff under his/her responsibility.
- Participates in monthly reporting according to guidelines.
- Diploma as Biomed technician, biomed engineer, electronic technician or electronic engineer with relevant experience in biomed equipment maintenance.
- Essential two years of working experience in biomed management profiles.
- Desirable previous experience with MSF or other NGOs and working experience in developing countries.
- Pedagogical skills are an asset.
- Computer literacy.
- Good interpersonal skills and flair for building and maintaining good relationships.
- Good time management combined with strong organisational skills, and ability to multi-task and work under pressure.
- Ability to demonstrate creative solutions to problems and effectively manage change.
- Willing to work in unstable areas and ability to cope in a difficult and unpredictable environment.
- Available for a minimum of 6 months, mission length may vary depending on needs
What do we offer
MSF packages reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism as well as recognition of the high level of professionals we recruit.
- Round trip economy air travel;
- Accommodation and transportation during your contract (including briefings and debriefings);
- Monthly indemnity based on your experience and MSF salary structure;
- Field Per diem allowance in local currency based on the cost of living in project country;
- Insurance covering health, luggage, professional liability, repatriation, accidents and flights;
- Pre- and post-mission health checks.
Career with MSF
Besides the package offered, there are many intangible benefits in working with MSF in the field. Our field missions are a challenging and rewarding personal and professional experience that allows you to contribute in a meaningful way to the people who need our support. As an organisation, we look into measures to support your career growth within the organisation and invests in your training and development in a systematic way.