Note: Due to limited vacancies in the field, we are unable to recruit for this profile until December 2021.
The role of a Construction Manager is to plan and implement all logistics activities in the project related to construction and rehabilitation according to MSF protocols and standards. This is an exciting role as it gives you the opportunity to apply yourself in a low resource setting and manage the construction needs to ensure optimal running of the project in a global setting where you can work with a diverse international group.
Construction Managers are usually based in the projects and will be responsible for planning, establishing and reviewing the construction and rehabilitation management activities in the project including its annual budget. We look for people from various construction management backgrounds with technical skills in construction and rehabilitation as well as experience in a low resource setting. Your basic skills in cross-cultural human resource management and communication will be important, as the role involves training and evaluation of staff under your supervision and coexisting in a diverse team.
Key responsibilities will include
(Please note that a detailed job description will be provided for each role when offered and may differ slightly from context to context)
- Planning construction and rehabilitation projects to be performed in the mission, participating in the project design and development and ensuring that technical aspects are met and are in compliance with the local construction habits.
- Coordinating purchase orders related to the work activity and checking the materials in stock and warehouse inventory control.
- Participating in the preparation of budgets associated with construction/rehabilitation projects, preparing invoices for payment of the works and anticipating the cash flow required for monthly payments.
- Ensure that all workers comply with safety standards.
- Participates in the HR related processes like recruitment, training and development, briefing/debriefing and communication of the staff under his/her responsibility.
- Participates in monthly reporting according to guidelines.
- Essential university or technical school diploma, desirable construction or engineering related studies.
- Desirable previous experience with MSF or other NGOs and working experience in developing countries of at least 2 years.
- Computer literacy.
- Knowledge in French or Arabic desirable as most of the vacancies would be in contexts requiring these.
- Good interpersonal skills and flair for building and maintaining good relationships.
- Good time management combined with strong organisational skills, and ability to multi-task and work under pressure.
- Ability to demonstrate creative solutions to problems and effectively manage change.
- Willing to work in unstable areas and ability to cope in a difficult and unpredictable environment.
- Available for a minimum of 6 months, mission length may vary depending on needs.
What do we offer
MSF packages reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism as well as recognition of the high level of professionals we recruit.
- Round trip economy air travel;
- Accommodation and transportation during your contract (including briefings and debriefings);
- Monthly indemnity based on your experience and MSF salary structure;
- Field Per diem allowance in local currency based on the cost of living in project country;
- Insurance covering health, luggage, professional liability, repatriation, accidents and flights;
- Pre- and post-mission health checks.
Career with MSF
Besides the package offered, there are many intangible benefits in working with MSF in the field. Our field missions are a challenging and rewarding personal and professional experience that allows you to contribute in a meaningful way to the people who need our support. As an organisation, we look into measures to support your career growth within the organisation and invests in your training and development in a systematic way.