The role of a Fleet Manager is to plan and implement all logistics activities in the project related to fleet and motorized equipment management according to MSF protocols and standards. This is an exciting role as it gives you the opportunity to apply yourself in a low resource setting and manage the vehicles and motorized equipment to ensure optimal running of the project in a global setting where you can work with a diverse international group.
Fleet Managers are usually based in the projects and will be responsible for planning, establishing and reviewing the fleet and motorized equipment management in the project including its annual budget in order to identify and prioritize operational needs of the mission. We look for people from a spectrum of vehicle management background with technical skills in fleet management and experience in a low resource setting. Your basic skills in cross-cultural human resource management and communication will be important, as the role involves training and evaluation of staff under your supervision and coexisting in a diverse team.
Key responsibilities will include
(Please note that a detailed job description will be provided for each role when offered and may differ slightly from context to context)
- Implementing the specific procedures to ensure and monitor that the vehicles and other motorized equipment(generators, pumps etc.), inventory, documentation and first aid kit are inspected on a monthly basis by the responsible driver, that maintenance services(A, B or C) are done on time and fully recorded in the vehicle log book and to rationalize the use of fuel and other consumable items.
- Carrying out technical evaluations of all the hired vehicles, engines and transport companies, drawing up the necessary documents (contracts, etc.) in order to ensure the transportation services between the capital and the field.
- Drawing up, in collaboration with the technical logistics team an annual order for spare parts and identify the potential local providers(for spare parts, fuel and lubricants) in order to efficiently ensure maintenance activities of the fleet and motorized equipment.
- Together with the supply manager, organising the storage of spare parts as well as the supply processes in order to ensure a quick lead time.
- Participates in the HR related processes like recruitment, training and development, briefing/debriefing and communication of the drivers and vehicle mechanics under his/her responsibility.
- Participates in monthly reporting according to guidelines.
- Interacting with local authorities and organisations.
- Essential secondary education
- Technical diploma in vehicle and motorized equipment management desirable.
- Essential two years of working experience in fleet management roles or as Head driver.
- Desirable previous experience with MSF or other NGOs and working experience in developing countries.
- Computer literacy.
- Good interpersonal skills and flair for building and maintaining good relationships.
- Good time management combined with strong organisational skills, and ability to multi-task and work under pressure.
- Ability to demonstrate creative solutions to problems and effectively manage change.
- Willing to work in unstable areas and ability to cope in a difficult and unpredictable environment.
- Available for a minimum of 6 months, mission length may vary depending on needs.
- Arabic and French desirable as most of the vacancies would be in French and Arabic speaking contexts
What do we offer
MSF packages reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism as well as recognition of the high level of professionals we recruit.
- Round trip economy air travel;
- Accommodation and transportation during your contract (including briefings and debriefings);
- Monthly indemnity based on your experience and MSF salary structure;
- Field Per diem allowance in local currency based on the cost of living in project country;
- Insurance covering health, luggage, professional liability, repatriation, accidents and flights;
- Pre- and post-mission health checks.
Career with MSF
Besides the package offered, there are many intangible benefits in working with MSF in the field. Our field missions are a challenging and rewarding personal and professional experience that allows you to contribute in a meaningful way to the people who need our support. As an organization, we look into measures to support your career growth within the organisation and invests in your training and development in a systematic way.