Humanitarian Affairs Officers
The role of a Humanitarian Affairs Officer in MSF is an exciting and fulfilling one, giving you the opportunity to develop and work with a variety of people from across the globe. You would contribute to the development of humanitarian affairs activities in the mission by supporting the Coordination Management Team in the analysis of context, humanitarian situation, security and in the definition of advocacy strategies, according to MSF policies and values, in order to improve the humanitarian and human rights situation among population.
Key responsibilities will include
(Please note that a detailed job description will be provided for each role when offered and may differ slightly from context to context)
- Performing data collection and research concerning local and international context, with regards to security, medical, nutritional and humanitarian issues, in order to provide reliable information for further decision-making.
- Supporting the Head of Mission and field coordinators in the analysis of the data collected, in order to better orient the programmes and projects, to provide an optimal response to population needs.
- Compiling regular updates of the ongoing (inter-)national activities and plans of NGOs, UN, ICRC, donors, authorities and other actors on lobbying, policy and operational planning and initiatives in order to facilitate MSF ’s activities and objectives.
- Collaborating with the HoM, the Operational/Humanitarian Affairs Department at HQ and other relevant parties to develop a coherent global strategy, in order to address the humanitarian situation.
- Defining and reviewing messages, tools, lobbying activities and other advocacy action plans and strategies, in order to raise all humanitarian issues in the mission and seek assistance and protection to affected population.
- Ensuring smooth working relationship with local authorities, other NGOs, local communities and other stake holders, in order to facilitate a better access to the population for MSF teams and improve coordination of MSF activities with third parties.
- Organising discussions, trainings, briefings, etc. about human rights and humanitarian law issues and current and future advocacy activities, in order to raise awareness of MSF staff regarding these matters.
- Participating in the compiling and updating of the Country Risk Analysis regularly from a humanitarian affairs perspective.
- Promoting and assisting the implementation of advocacy activities locally, nationally and internationally.
- Supervising humanitarian affairs related staff in the Mission.
Your skills in cross cultural human resource management and communication will also be important, as your role requires supporting both international and local staff.
- Essential degree in Law, Humanitarian affairs, Political Sciences or related university degree.
- Fluency in English and /or French/Arabic language.
- Work experience with MSF or other NGOs, preferably in an international context.
- Desirable work experience in developing countries.
- Significant experience in an HR, Finance and Administrative roles, preferably within a multi-cultural context.
- Good interpersonal skills and flair for building and maintaining good relationships
- Good time management combined with strong organisational skills, and ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Ability to demonstrate creative solutions to problems and effectively manage change
- Experience in training, coaching, mentoring and supervising
- Willing to work in unstable areas and ability to cope in a difficult and unpredictable environment
- Available for a minimum of 9-12 months.
What do we offer
MSF packages reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism as well as recognition of the high level of professionals we recruit.
- Round trip economy air travel;
- Accommodation and transportation during your contract (including briefings and debriefings);
- Monthly indemnity based on your experience and MSF salary structure;
- Field Per diem allowance in local currency based on the cost of living in project country;
- Insurance covering health, luggage, professional liability, repatriation, accidents and flights;
- Pre and post mission health checks.
Career with MSF
Besides the package offered, there are many intangible benefits in working with MSF in the field. Our field missions are a challenging and rewarding personal and professional experience that allows you to contribute in a special way to the people who need our support. We at MSF look into measures to support your career growth within the organisation and invests in training and development of our personnel in a systematic way.