Doctors Without Borders / Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters and exclusion from healthcare in more than 70 countries. MSF offers assistance to people based on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF has worked in India since 1999, providing free-of-charge essential healthcare to people in remote areas, and specialist care for people affected by HIV/AIDS, malnutrition, hepatitis C, tuberculosis, kala azar, and sexual and gender-based violence. We also respond to natural disasters and other emergencies, provide mental healthcare and advocate for the development of more effective and affordable medicines to improve access to treatment for people everywhere.
We currently run projects in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Manipur, Telangana, and Uttar Pradesh.
MSF was awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 1996 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999
Number of position: 1
Location: Bijapur, Chhattisgarh
Salary indication: INR 82,399 including medical market adjustment +HR Benefits
Duration: 6-9 months (with possibilities of extension)
Expected Start Date: June 2019
Functional and Hierarchical Lines
Project: Hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Project Medical Doctor
Purpose of Post
- Provide quality medical care
- Ongoing assessment of health needs
Mission and Principal Activities
- Provide quality basic medical care, diagnosis and treatment, in MSF basic health clinics according to MSF clinical guidelines, including universal precautions.
- Provide proper diagnosis and treatment through quality consultations
- Facilitate proper referral of complicated cases and perform follow ups of patients as necessary
- Watch over the rational use of medicines
- Work closely with the MSF nurses to provide quality medical care
- Assure overall good clinic management including patient flow, triage, cleanliness of clinic, waste management etc. Identify problems immediately and initiate improvements if needed with other departments (logistics).
- Assist in implementation of outreach activities
- Monitor consumption of medicines and medical material. Ensure there is adequate medical stock and coordinate the order of medical supplies as required
- Collection, reporting and analysis of clinical data
- Inform Medical Supervisor of any irregularity, shortage or damage of materials
- Participate in team meetings as required
- MBBS degree with full & valid registration from Medical Council of India
- Desirable specialisation or training in tropical medicine and/or infectious disease (especially TB and HIV/AIDS)
- Preferably 1 year of work experience as a medical practitioner
- Desirable experience in minor surgical, obstetric & paediatrics
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload & taking initiative when appropriate
- Good spoken & written English; Essential good understanding of local language(s)
- Able to integrate into a multi-cultural team and cooperate with co-workers
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Willingness to live and work in a rural setting
- Demonstrates flexibility in taking up tasks outside of regular job responsibilities as required
- Understanding of MS Office especially Word, Excel & PowerPoint
Please clearly state which position you are applying for and send CV and cover letter to:
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.