MSF Surgeons often work with emergency teams to treat people wounded in conflict zones. At other times, they join teams that provide longer-term surgical care to communities without access to functioning healthcare systems.
During conflicts and their aftermath, surgeons are needed for assignments generally lasting from six weeks to three months or more. Responsibilities include general surgery, surgical-needs assessment, and training of local staff.
MSF in India recruits General, Plastic, Ortho Surgeons for fieldwork.
- Specialisation in relevent surgical branch with Medical Council registration.
- Ability to perform general surgery including trauma surgery.
- Experience in caesarean sections and basic orthopaedic is mandatory. Also, experience in paediatric surgery is desirable.
- Current or recent clinical experience
- Ability to work with limited resources. Experience in managing, supervising and training others
- Ability to work as a part of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
- Willingness to work in unstable areas and ability to cope in a difficult and unpredictable environment
- Availability for a minimum period of 2-6 months
What Do We Offer
MSF packages reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism as well as recognising the high level of professionals we recruit.
- Round trip economy air travel;
- Accommodation and transportation during your contract (including briefings and debriefings);
- Monthly indemnity based on your experience and MSF salary structure;
- Field Per diem allowance in local currency based on the cost of living in project country;
- Insurance covering health, luggage, professional liability, repatriation, accidents and flights;
- Pre- and post-mission health checks.
Career With MSF
Besides the practical considerations, there are many intangible benefits. Working for MSF is a challenging and rewarding personal and professional experience that allows you to help people in a very real way. MSF encourages field workers to continue working for the organisation beyond their first mission, and we offer various career opportunities to our field workers.
Gaining more and varied MSF field experience makes you eligible for coordination positions in the mission such as Logistical, Medical, or Project Coordinator, or Head of Mission.