Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)/Doctors Without Borders is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters and exclusion from healthcare in more than 70 countries. MSF offers assistance to people based on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF has worked in India since 1999, providing free-of-charge essential healthcare to people in remote areas, and specialist care for people affected by HIV/AIDS, malnutrition, hepatitis C, tuberculosis, kala azar and sexual and gender-based violence. We also respond to natural disasters and other emergencies, provide mental healthcare and advocate for the development of more effective and affordable medicines to improve access to treatment for people everywhere.
We currently run projects in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Manipur, Telangana, and Uttar Pradesh. MSF was awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 1996 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
Project: Drug-resistant tuberculosis
Duration: 12 Months (Renewable)
Expected Starting Date: 1st June 2019
Last Date of Application: 10th May 2019
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Upholds MSF’s core principles and values + MSF’s Code of Conduct
- Respects MSF’s identification materials and will NOT abuse their use aside from their intended purposes
- Promotes & maintains MSF quality standards, processes & procedures
- Represents MSF in meetings pertaining to medical Activities in close coordination with PC/MedCo/PMR and Doctors
Planning and Coordination
- Ensure the implementation of laboratory outputs stated in the project Log frame
- Update the lab objectives corresponding to the progress and direction of Doctors Without borders In Mumbai Project.
- Ensure the well-functioning laboratory to support the MSF project in Mumbai.
- Supervises and monitors the proper implementation of the key lab activities.
- Support Mumbai Project in improving programmatic issue and developing new proposal for activities related to Laboratory.
- Support Mumbai project in estimating the budget requested for laboratory connected activities
Doctors without borders clinical laboratory in Shatabdi Hospital
- Complete SOPs for all procedures including biosafety measures performed in the clinical laboratory and update the existing ones
- Ensure that internal quality control is set for all test carried out in the laboratory and performed regularly
- Enroll the clinical laboratory in a EQA program with an accredited EQA systems developed in India
- Implement corrective actions to warranty the quality of lab test when Quality Control fails
- Collaborating with the logistic department, ensure that the laboratory equipment receives the necessary maintenance
Technical support to the project with the view of ensuring quality of diagnostic
- Interpretation of phenotypic and genotypic results coming from external laboratory
- Follow up samples sent to JJ TB laboratory, the ITM in Antwerp and other external laboratories cooperating with Doctors without Borders India
- Focal points with external laboratory partner
- Assist Doctors without border Mumbai project in assessing external Laboratory for possible cooperation
- Contribute to Operational Research ensuring quality of processes and data, writing SOP, and other needs connected to laboratory activities arising during the study.Writing monthly activity reports and other reports as requested.
Lab Stock Management
- Support the projects ordering Reagents, consumables and equipment to be used for laboratory and laboratory connected activities in the project
- Work with the Pharmacy team in planning, reviewing the necessary amount of lab reagents, consumables and equipment to order based on the medical needs ETC
Human Resources Management
- Develop in collaboration with the Project Medical Referent and with HR job descriptions for laboratory personnel to be hired by Doctors without Borders.
- Supervises, coaches and supports the lab team (Shatabdi Lab & JJ Lab).
- Carry out regular performance review of laboratory personnel as requested by the project
- Ensure that each member of the laboratory is well trained and able to perform the assigned task in safety
- Detect and Suggest Training needs for the laboratory team
- Organise and implement trainings for the laboratory team
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload & taking initiative when appropriate
- Able to integrate into a multi-cultural team and cooperate with co-workers
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team and ability to cope with stress.
- Good Punctuality and ability to act with responsibility
- Demonstrates flexibility in taking up tasks outside of regular job responsibilities as required and aptitude for humanitarian medical work.
- Excellent computer skills (especially MS Office MS Word and MS Excel) & reporting skills.
- Languages: English, Hindi/Marathi.
- Essential: Master’s Degree in microbiology and Licensed clinical Microbiologist
- 3-4 year experience with TB Laboratory process and procedure and/or Gene Pyrosequencing is an asset
- Experience in Supervision, Management and Coaching
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, work independently and problem solve
- Computer literacy: Microsoft Office is essential
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
HR & Benefits (Non-negotiable)
- Monthly Gross Salary: INR 77,538
- Secondary Benefits as per policies:
- 13th Month Salary/ Festival Bonus
- 18 Annual Leaves
- 12 Casual Leaves
- Other compassionate leaves
- Medical Reimbursement including dependents
- Personal Accidental Insurance including dependents
To apply please email your CV and motivation letter with the subject Ref: Position Name to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th May 2019, 5:00 pm.
ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED AND INVITED FOR INTERVIEW