Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical
humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural
and man-made disasters and exclusion from healthcare in more than 65 countries. MSF offers assistance to
people based on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF has worked in India since 1999, providing free-of-charge essential healthcare to people in remote areas,
and specialist care for people affected by HIV/AIDS, malnutrition, hepatitis C, antibiotic resistance, tuberculosis,
kala azar and sexual and gender-based violence. We also respond to natural disasters and other emergencies,
provide mental healthcare and advocate for the development of more effective and affordable medicines to
improve access to treatment for people everywhere.
We currently run projects in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir,
Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Manipur, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
MSF was awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 1996 and the Nobel
Peace Prize in 1999.
Position: Nurse (2 positions)
Location of Job: Meerut, Uttar Pradesh
Duration: 12 months (renewable)
Start Date: 1st September 2017
Salary Package: INR 23,507/- plus benefits
Closing date: 15th August 2017
- Provide nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
Core responsibilities and tasks:
- Know, promote, implement and follow at all times the universal hygiene standards/precautions, biohazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensure high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment.
- Organise and carry out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, as well as assist doctors during consultations/daily rounds and other medical procedures.
- Ensure patients are properly received and installed in the health service. Ensure that patients with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort.
- Respect medical secret and confidentiality.
- Carry out admission, surveillance and follow up of patients meaning assessment of their health state evolution and identification of emergency situation or any deterioration.
- Participate in health education of the patient (and family) whether in clinic or community, under indication and supervision of PMR.
- Participate in creation of any material needed for the activities of information, education and communication.
- Supervise and train nurse aids, nutrition assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision in their work with special focus in following all appropriate protocols and procedures and ensuring team work.
- Participate in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (carrying out inventories, carrying out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover, ensuring no material is taken out of nursing are without prior authorization, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow up of expired drugs, etc).
- Carry out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient files, forms, registers, consumption, statistics). Participate in data collection and keep doctors/supervisors informed.
- Ensure an appropriate written/oral handover and report any problematic situation and cases that may arise.
- Ensure triage of patients in waiting areas detecting priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care when necessary and referring them to the doctor.
- Be aware of the importance and appropriate use of PEP Kit.
- Send materials to be sterilized and retrieve them from sterilization.
- To perform any other tasks as required by your Supervisor/Line Manager
- To maintain a flexible approach and responds to the needs of the project even if outside of this job description.
- Recognised nurse degree/diploma - essential. Bachelor in Science of Nursing - desirable.
- Desirable 2 years of previous experience as a nurse and previous experience in other NGOs.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload & taking initiative when appropriate
- Good spoken & written English; Essential good understanding of local language(s)
- Able to integrate into a multi-cultural team and cooperate with co-workers
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Able to keep patient-related matters confidential
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills
- Ability to cope with stress
- Willingness to live and work in a rural setting
- Good punctuality and ability to act with responsibility
- Demonstrates flexibility in taking up tasks outside of regular job responsibilities as required
- Understanding of MS Office especially Word, Excel & PowerPoint
Please clearly state which position you are applying for and send CV and letter of motivation to apply for this
position (with phone number) no later than 15th August 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not use any external recruitment consultants.
Application without motivation letter will not be accepted.
Due to a high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Meerut, Uttar Pradesh