Doctors Without Borders(DWBI) / Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters and exclusion from healthcare in more than 65 countries. MSF offers assistance to people based on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF has worked in India since 1999, providing free-of-charge essential healthcare to people in remote areas, and specialist care for people affected by HIV/AIDS, malnutrition, hepatitis C, antibiotic resistance, tuberculosis, kala azar and sexual and gender-based violence. We also respond to natural disasters and other emergencies, provide mental healthcare and advocate for the development of more effective and affordable medicines to improve access to treatment for people everywhere.
We currently run projects in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Manipur, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
MSF was awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 1996 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
Position: Nurse (GNM)
Location of Job: Govandi, Mumbai
Duration:12 months (renewable with mutual agreement)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary Package: INR 26119/- plus medical benefits
Closing date: 15 July 2017
Provide nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities:
Core responsibilities and tasks:
Participate in the planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of medical activities for HIV/TB/DRTB and patients with other co-infections in clinic and community.
- Know, promote, implement and follow at all times the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensure high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment.
- Organise and carry out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, as well as assist them during consultations/ daily rounds and other medical procedures.
- Ensure patients are properly received and installed in the health service. Ensures that patients with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort.
- Respect medical confidentiality
- Carry-out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients meaning assessment of their health state evolution, and identification of emergency situation or any deterioration,
- Perform injections, dressings, blood taking, and sputum collection in collaboration with other nursing staff and according to DWBI protocols.
- Be proactive in promoting clear communication with colleagues to ensure new patient diagnoses, changes to patient care at follow-up appointments and updates of patient adherence and progress are complete
- Identify appropriate DOT providers according to patient needs and support implementation of DOT treatment and follow-up for DRTB cohort in collaboration with the supervisor.
- Provide health education, nursing assessment/care, adherence counselling, and nutrition guidance and detect drug side effects for DRTB patients in collaboration with patient support and multidisciplinary team.
- Assist in dispensing of medicines when requested.
- Train cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision in their work with special focus in following all appropriate protocols and procedures and ensuring teamwork
- Participate in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (carrying out inventories, carrying out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover, ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorization, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.).
- Carry-out administrative procedures and documents (fill in patients files, forms, consumptions, statistics, etc.), ensure an appropriate written/oral handover and report any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Fill in all necessary registers and health files, participate in data collection and keep doctors/supervisors informed.
- Ensure triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care when necessary and referring them to the doctor.
- Knows and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Sends material to be sterilised and recuperates it from sterilisation.
- Follow infection control policies of the organisation. In collaboration with Infection Control Officer, participate in the assessment of Infection control at the patient home. Maintain regular contact tracing for DRTB cohort
- Participate in all staff meetings and team activities.
- Flexibility to work in all interventions of DWBI in Mumbai.
- GNM Nursing
- Registration with Maharashtra Nursing council.
- Desirable working experience of at least two years in the similar field.
- Experience in Public Health system / other NGOS will be an advantage.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload & taking initiative when appropriate
- Good spoken & written English, Hindi/Marathi.
- Able to integrate into a multi-cultural team and cooperate with co-workers
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Humanitarian motivation and ability to cope with stress
- Good Punctuality and ability to act with responsibility
- Demonstrates flexibility in taking up tasks outside of regular job responsibilities as required
- Working knowledge of MS Office especially Word, Excel & PowerPoint
Please clearly state which position (NURSE) you are applying for and send CV and letter of motivation to apply for this position (with phone number) no later than 15 July 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We do not use any external recruitment consultants.
Application without motivation letter will not be accepted.
Due to a high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.