When MSF works in complex contexts, where there are many parties to a conflict and humanitarian assistance is not always clearly defined, the organisation ensures its independence by relying solely on private financial donations to fund its activities.
Every MSF national office is a non-profit organisation. Some 86 percent of our resources are allocated to our humanitarian activities. The remaining 14 percent is spent on management and administration, and reinvested in fundraising.
We hold reserves of a minimum of three months and a maximum of twelve months of total expenditure. This allows us to respond immediately to a crisis, without having to wait for further funds to be raised.
The use of MSF funds is tightly controlled and each national office makes public its audited financial reports.
The audited MSF International Financial Report is a means of transparency and accountability that provides a view of MSF’s work internationally. The International Financial Report clearly defines the different categories of income and expenditure and openly shows how funds are raised and spent.
Every year we publish our audited combined Financial Statements. These combined accounts are a means of transparency and accountability, providing a global overview of MSF’s work.2018 Financial Report
previous years (PDF)