- Position: Mobile Health Activity Manager
- Location of Job: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Duration: 12 Months (Renewable)
- Start date: 1st November 2020
- Closing date: 7th October 2020
- No. of vacancies: 1 (One)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctors Without Borders/ Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters and exclusion from healthcare in more than 70 countries. DWB offers assistance to people in need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
Doctors Without Borders has worked in India since 1999, providing free-of-charge essential healthcare to people in remote areas; treatment and care for people affected by HIV/AIDS, malnutrition; hepatitis C, tuberculosis, kala azar and sexual and gender-based violence; an important subject for our action is containing effect of antibiotic resistance. We also respond to natural disasters and other emergencies, provides mental healthcare and advocates for the development of more effective and affordable medicines to improve access to treatment everywhere.
Doctors Without Borders was awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 1996 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999. Doctor Without Borders India (DWBI) runs projects in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Manipur, and Telangana.
Doctors Without Borders India (DWBI) and the EndTB project
Doctors Without Borders, and its partners i.e. Partners In Health (PIH), Interactive Research and Development (IRD), Epicentre, France, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Belgium and the Harvard Medical School have launched two major clinical trials, endTB and endTB-Q which seek to revolutionize treatment for the toughest strains of tuberculosis (TB), the world’s leading infectious disease killer. The goal of these studies is to generate high quality evidence from a highly heterogeneous population that could lead to a change in the global recommendations for the management of MDR-TB.
The endTB trials are multi-country, randomized, controlled, Phase III clinical trial testing five new, all oral, shorter duration regimens compared to the current standard of care. The aim of the trials is to find shorter, less toxic and injection-free treatments for ‘multidrugresistant TB’ (MDR-TB). The experimental regimens mainly rely on newly approved or repurposed drugs and avoid drugs to which high rates of resistance have been reported in MDR-TB patient populations.These multi-country trials are being conducted in Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Lesotho, Pakistan, Peru, South Africa and Vietnam. In India the trials are conducted at Mumbai and Pune sites by Doctors Without Borders India (DWBI) in Partnership with ICMR- National AIDS Research Institute (NARI) and in support with National Tuberculosis Elimination Program (NTEP).
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Defining, coordinating and monitoring all mobile health activities to support health programs (HIV/TB, population displacement, epidemics), according to DWBI protocols, standards and procedures in order to ensure quality medical care for patients and their communities and to improve the health condition of the population
- This position will be 50%managerial and 50%clinical
- Identifying the needs of the mobile health support in the target population and participating in the definition, planning and updating of the appropriate DWBI strategy and the mobile health activities and its budget. Performing initial data collection and establishing base line criteria, analysing data and mapping the potential problems (e.g. sample collection, adherence problems, difficulty in pharmacy management, etc.)
- Supervising the mobile health activities and management of team consisting of doctors, nurses. Ensure smooth running of daily provision at M East Ward OPD.
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of the monitoring tools and coordinating the implementation of the mobile health activities according to DWBI standards, protocols and procedures in order to provide the most appropriate support to the target population. Collecting and analysing data and documenting the lessons learned.
- In close coordination with the project biomedical service, supervising the appropriate use of medical devices and anticipating and communicating future needs.
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, detection of potential, motivation, development and internal communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility, in order to ensure having the appropriate team in terms of size, capabilities and skills
- Participating in monthly reports according to guidelines (SitRep, statistical report, Cash request etc.) and reporting problematic situations and cases with the Supervisor in order to help with decision making and resolution of problems
- To represent as a medical focal person for OPD and outreach in MEW project and liaise with NTEP and other MOH partner together with Manager
- To ensure smooth transfer of DR TB patients from OPD to health posts/other DOT providers after registered for treatment in DWBI-NTEP joint project
- Provide outpatient/clinical consultations to all DWBI patients.
- Management and follow up for HIV care, antiretroviral therapy (ART), DR-TB care, hepatitis C treatment, opportunistic infections treatment, and co-morbidity treatment following the DWBI protocol for the project.
- Arrange patient refferals and admissions, Conduct hospital visits, including discussion with referral hospital medical team as per schedule defined by Medical Activities Manager and Medical Technical Referent and also do medical home visits when needed.
- Reinforce adherence on the therapy, follow up of any adverse events including adverse events reporting, verifies the understanding of the patients with HIV, TB, opportunistic infections, and co-morbidities.
- To standby over the weekend, non-clinic hours, and public holidays for any emergency consultations for DWBI patients and emergency condition in general.
- Participate in providing training, capacity building, and networking for internal/external partners including other NGOs network, hospice staff, hospital staff, orphanage staff, school staff, and ART centers doctor on relevant medical issue.
- To contribute towards medical forecasting related to drugs required for the project in collaboration with the pharmacist
- To ensure record all patient’s investigation reports (laboratory, microbiology, radiology, consultation answers) in the patient file and relevant data tool provided
- To participate in any relevant operational research activities, publications, and conferences, including writing publications and providing data analysis
- To follow , implement and monitor DWBI infection control protocol in the project premises along with nurse supervisor.
- Monthly meetings with nurse supervisor, medical data entry supervisor, pharmacist, PS supervisor and outreach manager
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload & taking initiative when appropriate
- Able to integrate into a multi-cultural team and cooperate with co-workers
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team and ability to cope with stress.
- Good Punctuality and ability to act with responsibility
- Demonstrates flexibility in taking up tasks outside of regular job responsibilities as required and aptitude for humanitarian medical work.
- Excellent computer skills (especially MS Office MS Word and MS Excel) & reporting skills.
- Languages: English, Hindi & Marathi.
- Medical doctor degree with Maharashtra medical council registration .
- Desirable specialization or training in Tropical Medicine, community medicine or related studies.
- Previous experience in similar position required. Team Management experience required.
- Previous experience with DWBI or similar organisation in the field.
HR & Benefits (Non-negotiable)
- Monthly Gross Salary: INR 1,03,915/-
- Secondary Benefits as per policies:
- 13th Month Salary/ Festival Bonus
- 18 Annual Leaves
- 12 Casual Leaves
- Other compassionate leaves
- Medical Reimbursement including dependents
- Personal Accidental Insurance including dependents
To apply please email your CV and motivation letter with the subject Ref: “Mobile Health Activity Manager”
by 7th October 2020, 5:00 pm.
ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED AND INVITED FOR INTERVIEW.