- Position: Medical Doctor
- No of vacancies: 1
- Project: Patna Advance HIV
- Duration: 12 months (renewable)
- Monthly Gross Salary: INR 85,394/- (non-negotiable)
- Location: Patna
- Expected Start Date: ASAP
- Closing date: 24 November 2021
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctors Without Borders India (DWBI) aims to provide medical assistance without any kind of discrimination including offering medical assistance during natural and manmade disasters through the establishment of healthcare centres, implementing medical programs for critical illnesses on its own or with partners, working for creating medical awareness and capacity building and carry out/sponsor research to provide strategic input on relevant medical treatment options in India.
Purpose of Post
Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, DWBI protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
Functional and Hierarchical Lines
Hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Medical Activity Manager
- Apply medical knowledge, skills to diagnose, and prevent. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting DWBI protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following DWBI protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all DWBI medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing biohazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to DWBI HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
Context Specific Accountabilities
Patna Project context:
MSF in collaboration with MoH (BSACS and NACO) has set up a program as an inpatient department in a district hospital, Guru Gobind Secondary Hospital (GGSH) to provide care and treatment for patients with advanced HIV disease with special attention for those with life-threatening conditions. Patients in critical lethal conditions will be able to access palliative care.
The main purpose of the program is to provide care for seriously ill patients living with HIV in order to
decrease mortality and improve the quality of life, paying special attention to patients' rights, dignity and providing holistic care including medical and psychological support.
Roles and Responsibilities of MD:
Other Responsibilities and tasks
- Provide diagnostics and treatment of HIV, OIs, TB/DRTB, HCV, NCD and other medical conditions following MSF Project-specific Protocols at MSF facility.
- Responsible of patients admission and patients follow up by providing quality care based on Person Centered Care approach.
- Conduct ward round jointly with other MDs, MAM, Expat MD and other medical team members in ICU, OPD and other wards.
- Hold case discussion weekly with MAM, Expat MD and IPD team.
- Work closely with other members of medical team staff (Nurses for triage and patient flow, Counselors, Health Promoter, Lab Technicians and Medical Data Processing Officer) to ensure quality medical care.
- Accurate filling of all required medical forms in the patient file and collection of clinical data as required
- Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Refer patients to appropriate facilities (imagery, TBDC, tertiary Hospital in Patna) for further investigations and treatment or special care based on indications set by DWBI Protocols; and follow up the evolution of referred cases by networking/collaborating with partner doctors.
- Ensure proper and careful use and check quality of biomedical equipment following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Support clinic/community activities with any additional task assigned, such as conduction training and sensitization session.
- Inform MAM of any irregularities, shortage or damage of materials and equipment.
- Participate in clinical as well as medical team meetings.
- Participate in any emergencies/explorations if necessary and requested.
- Support, coaching, on bedside training of newly join MSF Medical Doctors for their capacity building in advanced HIV patients management and emergency medical care at the MSF inpatient setting.
- Follow and apply universal standard precautions at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control.
- Ensure professional confidentiality.
- Assist the team consolidate the ABR and palliative care approaches and initiatives within the project.
- Management of advanced HIV and opportunistic infections with a particular focus on disseminated tuberculosis and other common OIs, severe acute malnutrition management, support decisions on ART switches based on NACO and WHO Guidelines
- High Dependency/ICU level care including use of vasopressors and non-invasive ventilation (But not intubation or renal replacement therapy)
- Management of paediatric advanced HIV admissions of all ages including with severe acute malnutrition
- Participate in clinical as well as medical team meetings.
- Ensure IPC protocols are in place and address the safety needs of the patients
- Work with MOH MD in ARTCs to ensure the quality of care for PLHIV and TB patients, diagnosis and treatment is improved and maintained;
- Hold case discussion with MOH MD at ARTCs about difficult cases on the job.
- Organize training for the ARTCs staff to build their capacity in order to improve the quality of care
- Assist MAM and working together with other MDs to identify ART failure cases and switching to 2nd or 3rd line or Enhanced Adherence Counselling and FU VL,
- Maintains a flexible approach and responds to the needs of the project even outside of this job description.
- To assist in the assessment of humanitarian needs and emergency interventions arising in the region and if needed, show flexibility, adaptability and commitment.
- To respect MSF internal regulations, the contract and the present job description.
- Essential: MBBS Degree with full & valid registration from Medical Council of India or State Medical Councils, Desirable diploma in Tropical Medicine
- Minimum 1 year - of work experience Desirable experience with HIV, TB and/or MDRTB; Experience in Kala Azar is desirable.
- Experienced in performing tissue aspirates techniques for diagnosis
- Mission language essential. Local language desirable..
- Essential computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, Internet/social media)
This job description may be amended in line with the activities or evolution of the organization.
- People Management
HR & Benefits
- Salary Gross (INR): 85394/- per month (non-negotiable)
- 18 days annual leave; 12 days paid leave as per the specified list of holidays; Sick/Casual leave of 12 days as per calendar year (pro-rated based on hire date).
- Contributions made for statutory benefit programs such as Provident Fund.
- Covered under accident insurance.
- DWBI provides medical reimbursement for employees and their dependents as per health care policy.
- A stimulating, professional environment in an international organization.
To apply for this position, please clearly state which position you are applying for and send a CV and letter of motivation to apply for this position (with phone number)
not later than 24 November 2021 to
Application without a motivation letter will not be accepted.
Note: Due to a high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. MSF is an equal opportunity employer, and women candidates are encouraged to apply. We do not use any external recruitment consultants. Recruitment of local based candidates will be prioritized.
Local candidates are encouraged to apply.