Note: Due to limited vacancies in the field, we are unable to recruit for this profile until December 2020.
The role of a Technical Logistician is an exciting and fulfilling one, giving you the opportunity to develop and work with a variety of people from across the globe. From conducting exploration missions into new areas with the medical team to setting up temporary tented hospitals and maintaining a fleet of Land Cruiser vehicles, MSF’s technical logisticians are the ‘behind the scenes’ people that ensure everything runs smoothly, no matter what happens. The Technical Logisticians make sure our projects are equipped with everything that is needed to deal with an emergency.
Logisticians are usually based in the projects, although there are also capital logistics positions as well. Wherever they are, they keep MSF’s programmes functioning.
The work varies widely, depending on the mission, from being in charge of managing international and national staff accommodation bases, constructing shelters, fixing electrics in the hospital or even training local staff to maintain the vehicle fleet.
We look for technical logisticians from a range of backgrounds, with skills in electrics, mechanics and vehicle management, construction and network management.
Your skills in cross-cultural human resource management and communication will be important, as the role involves training and evaluation of staff under your supervision.
Key Responsibilities Will Include
(Please note that a detailed job description will be provided for each role when offered and may differ slightly from context to context)
- Maintenance and renovation of structures, including hospitals, clinics, offices and team accommodation
- Support logistically in setting up feeding centres, hospitals, mobile clinics
- Organising the transport of medications and supplies in terms of management of vehicle fleet and drivers and mechanics
- Ensuring the project’s power supply is reliable
- Maintaining vehicles and communication systems
- Network management of the project in terms of configuration and management.
- Managing security in the project when the project coordinator is not around
- Training, supervising and managing local logistics staff
- Support administration of the department in terms of hiring and contract management in collaboration with HR
- Interacting with local authorities and organisations
- Significant experience in logistics-related roles.
- Experience in preventative maintenance of equipment including vehicles, generators and other equipment used in our energy set-ups, biomedical equipment, and communication equipment (e.g. HF, VHF, Sat-phones, V-SAT, Mobile phones)
- Experience in supervising and training staff involved in technical installation and minor repair works of generators, cabling, chargers/inverters as well as vehicle management
- Experience in recruitment and management of contracted daily labourers
- Skills in management of IT equipment including provision of internet services
- Good level of working on spreadsheets and databases.
- Good interpersonal skills and flair for building and maintaining good relationships
- Good time management combined with strong organisational skills, and ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Ability to demonstrate creative solutions to problems and effectively manage change
- Willing to work in unstable areas and ability to cope in a difficult and unpredictable environment
- Available for a minimum of 9-12 months
What Do We Offer
MSF packages reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism as well as recognition of the high level of professionals we recruit.
- Round trip economy air travel;
- Accommodation and transportation during your contract (including briefings and debriefings);
- Monthly indemnity based on your experience and MSF salary structure;
- Field Per diem allowance in local currency based on the cost of living in project country;
- Insurance covering health, luggage, professional liability, repatriation, accidents and flights;
- Pre- and post-mission health checks.
Career with MSF
Besides the package offered, there are many intangible benefits in working with MSF in the field. Our field missions are a challenging and rewarding personal and professional experience that allows you to contribute in a special way to the people who need our support. As an organization, we look into measures to support your career growth within the organization and invests in your training and development in a systematic way.
Due to heavy volume of applications and less vacancies in the field the selection process is extremely strict. Kindly apply only if you feel you meet the essential criteria. Please be aware that there will be a waiting period of 6-9 months on an average to be placed in the field if you are successfully recruited.